Recipe Countdown Day 2: Penne all’arrabbiata
June 26, 2009
Penne in Spicy Tomato Sauce (Penne all’arrabbiata)
[Image and Recipe courtesy of Delish.com]
* 1 pound(s) whole-wheat penne
* 1 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
* 3 clove(s) garlic, finely chopped
* 1/4 teaspoon(s) crushed red pepper, or to taste
* 1 can(s) ((28-ounce)) plum tomatoes, drained
* 1/2 cup(s) freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
* 1/4 cup(s) finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
* Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1. Cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over low heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper; cook, stirring, until the garlic is golden, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, crushing them roughly with the back of a wooden spoon. Bring to a simmer over low heat and cook until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.
3. When the pasta is ready, drain and return to the pot. Stir in the sauce and place the pot over high heat. Stir until the mixture sizzles. Remove from heat. Add cheese and parsley; toss well. Taste and adjust seasonings; serve immediately.
I’m trying to pack for the New York trip and my girlfriends are telling me that I should be thinking of lighter clothing like skirts and dresses. That’s all very well, but I need pockets! It’s almost a pathological need, really. But on second thought, why DO I need pockets? It’s not like I’m working and need to carry … pens … around. (Ok, why do I even need pockets at work?)
Is it just me? Am I just weird needing pockets?
What is it with needing/wanting the comforts of home on this trip? I want my ergonomic pillow, my laptop, my backpack. None of these are necessary. The benefit of staying with friends, other than not having to pay for a hotel, is getting to use their stuff and not toting it with, duh. Except for towels. I’ll bring my own so they don’t have to provide one.
In return for their hosting generosity, I want to take them out for drinks and/or dinner (their choice). Does anyone have any suggestions? I’m going to have to treat at least 3 friends. And any suggestions for frugal daytime entertainment for me?